Gorou

Gorou
This is a very special village. I love how the light runs across the flat dry plains.

Monday, July 12, 2010

For months friends and family have asked if I'm nervous. And for months I have laughed in response, saying things like "Nervous? No way! I couldn't be more excited!" Yesterday, as I watched the news coverage of the Uganda bombings, I started to do some thinking. Why am I not nervous? I, for the first time in my life, will be the minority: light hair, blue eyes, fair skin, female, travelling alone, Christian. And for the first time, I'm nervous. There is nothing demanding the Senegalese people accept me, welcome me, or be kind to me. Nervous? YES! Good grief! Of course I'm nervous! With only three days left before I leave for Senegal, the sleepless nights and the panicked days will surely continue. This experience is of major importance to me. It's more than a trip to Senegal. It is in this time and this place that I am to learn if I can do this forever. I've been saying for nearly two years now that I am planning on being a full-time United Methodist missionary. But this is the test. I've been doing all the talking for so long, but now let the walking begin.

My time in Senegal will be spent on several things, some of which are:
1. Participate in the Senegal Mission Annual Meeting, while bringing encouragement and hope from the North Alabama Conference and Birmingham-Southern College
2. Assist the Mission, Youth, and Young Adult Coordinator in preparing for the West Africa Young Women's Conference to be held in September
3. Work with the United Methodist Youth in the churches of Nord Foire and Gran Yoff
4. Serve as the Administrative Assistant to the General Board of Global Ministries Country Director for Senegal

No time to be nervous! It's time to find what the Senegalese Christians and I have both been looking for: hope for the future.

2 comments:

  1. “All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well” Dame Julian of Norwich

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_of_Norwich

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths". -Proverbs 3:5-6

    Anna, the world needs more courageous young Christians like yourself. God bless you in your travels and know I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete