Gorou

Gorou
This is a very special village. I love how the light runs across the flat dry plains.

Monday, September 16, 2013

God's Timing. Isn't it funny?

As I sit in the United States, in an air-conditioned office, I cannot help but chuckle about the timing of God. It was less than two months ago when I left Senegal, planning only a six week stay in the U.S. On a daily basis, I receive questions about when I am leaving, when I am coming back, or where I am going. And honestly, I cannot respond with a truthful answer, as much as I want to do so. I have been discerning God's call on my life for several years now, and I have to say that the process has not suddenly stopped because I have been working in Senegal. God's call and my listening ear do not stop functioning simply because I have fulfilled a call from God. This isn't a one stop shop. God calls everyday, and everyday requires that I listen and make a conscious effort to hear the will of God for my life.
Several months ago I was invited, along with my husband, to work at a Methodist camp in France. The director of the camp asked us to be there by the end of September. As it turns out, that is not the easiest thing to do. My husband cannot get his passport renewed, then I can't get an appointment at the consulate in Atlanta, then we are still waiting for Edouard's passport, then he cannot get in at the embassy until late October. All the while, my plans are bouncing up and down and all around like an aimless yo-yo. I have no balance, no place to rest and listen. Do I stay in the US? Do I go back to Senegal? Where does France fit in to the picture? Those are all relevant questions, and all of those questions are found wandering around inside my head. In a time like this, I know that I have mistakenly fogotten to put everything else aside and focus on God's small voice inside of me being drowned out by all of the noise. Discernment did not end when I moved to Senegal last September. Discernment is something to be done everyday. It is a process of listening and then asking questions. After prayer and deep consideration, I do believe that Edouard and I are supposed to be in France, at least for a short time. Maybe there is someone we need to meet, some experience we need to have. I don't know. What I do know is that if I did not spend most of my time waiting for the wind to blow (AKA God to move in my life) then I would be just as concerned as everyone else seems to be about the future. Funny how that works. The more unknown my plans are the more comfortable I am in believing that God is moving in my life. However, if I have everything planned out and nicely arranged in a row, then I should step back and pause. Those nicely arranged and typically comfortable plans must be plans of my own, plans that I've decided upon myself, plans that will answer everyone's questions.
All of that being said, here are my latest plans, which could change at any point in time, I will leave for Senegal the first week of October. Upon finishing Edouard's visa, we will go to France for three months, hopefully starting the first week of November. If everything goes as planned, which cannot be promised, I should hope to be a United Methodist Missionary within a year's time. Everything is unknown. God is the only known factor in my life. When God wants to reveal something, God will do that. I believe in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment