Gorou

Gorou
This is a very special village. I love how the light runs across the flat dry plains.

Monday, July 19, 2010


As the overwhelming, orange sun began to set over Senegal, I made my way up to the roof-top garden of the Nord Foire mission. The breeze from the ocean swept across my face, and my breath was taken away. The roof-top allowed me to hide from the pandemonium of Dakar's streets and everyday life. I sat quietly by the pitiful lettuce plants and closed my eyes. As I took a deep breath, the 5th and final call to prayer rang out from the nearest mosque. People in the streets stopped. Car horns stopped. A child's cry stopped. A woman hanging her laundry stopped. Everything stopped, and all was silent. The faithfulness of the Senegalese is astounding. They put most Americans to shame. They put my faith to shame. There are many things to be learned from these people in this place. This, my friends, is only the first.

1 comment:

  1. Anna, the descriptions of your experiences are so refreshing and profoundly affect us back in Alabama in a deep way. You are a conduit for God's love and grace in the world and you are a willing participant in His plan. Love and God's Best to you, all those you touch, and all who touch you!

    ReplyDelete