Gorou

Gorou
This is a very special village. I love how the light runs across the flat dry plains.

Sunday, July 18, 2010


Meet Emma. She is the precious, middle daughter of Joe, the pastor at Nord Foire. Her English is limited to "How are you doing?" Emma and I had several hours together on Friday afternoon, and I wanted so badly to be able to tell her how much she fascinated me. The only thing I could think of was 'parfait' or perfect. She pointed to herself with questioning eyes.
"Oui, Emma. Parfait," I said.
Running after Emma, learning about roof-top gardening, watching young women graduate from the Methodist Women's Skill Center, talking to people about who they are and where they're from: this is why I do this. This is why I give up air-conditioning and comfort. This is why I walk on the sewage-lined, sandy streets of Dakar. It's because I see Jesus in people like Emma.
Listen: Thirsty, by Chris Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment