Gorou

Gorou
This is a very special village. I love how the light runs across the flat dry plains.

Monday, July 26, 2010


I see children like these all over Dakar. If you'll notice, each child has a small bowl or container. They use these containers when they beg outside of restaurants, grocery stores, or other public places. Why are they begging, you ask? Well, you see, these children have been given by their parents to a Marabout, an Islamic leader and teacher. The Marabouts live by donations alone, so they send these children out to beg. My struggle here is that I do not want to give these children money, because I don't want to support the Marabout. But there's a catch. If the children do not get any money, they are beaten severely and not fed. They go back to the Marabout every night and either turn in the money they have received or be punished. How could I sleep at night knowing these precious children are beaten and starved? I can't, so I donate to every last one that asks me for money. Am I supporting the Marabout? Yes. I can only pray that my small donation saves them from abuse.

2 comments:

  1. Anna, you are experiencing that dilemma we are all challenged with in life. Good & Evil are sometimes so close to each other that it is hard to know what to do. We can only trust that God will lead us in the way He wants us to go. Your experiences will help you make a difference in the world. In His Love, Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evil lurks among us all, but there in the streets of Dakar it is prevalent. There is no option whether to give to them or not.

    ReplyDelete