Gorou

Gorou
This is a very special village. I love how the light runs across the flat dry plains.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Tomorrow is my last day in Senegal. Let me rephrase that. Tomorrow is my last day of THIS trip to Senegal. I am already making plans to come back next summer, for much longer than 3 weeks. And if I can plead my case to the people in charge (my parents), I'll be back sooner than that. This week has been very busy, and I have enjoyed every minute of it. Although, at one point I made a mental list of everything I wanted to eat that I can't get here: chips and salsa, cherry coke zero, a FRESH salad, just to name a few. Even though the food here is less than desirable, it is not enough to keep me away from this beautiful place. When I say 'beautiful' I don't really mean that it's aesthetically pleasing. I mean that these are the most spiritually and emotionally beautiful people I have ever met.

Was this trip what I wanted it to be? No, it has been so much more than I ever expected. Can I see myself living here? Yes. Will I miss all the amenities of home? The people make up for the lack of amenities. They make you realize that material things just aren't important. They make you realize that you have too much stuff (Mom and Dad, hope you are ready for a MAJOR cleaning out).

When I get back home, I will be letting you all know how you can help Senegal, with your time and your financial support. I will gladly share countless stories and pictures with you, because I want you to know Senegal. I want you to love these people as much as I do.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM WRITING THIS IS CAPS BECAUSE YOUR EXPERIENCE AND WHAT YOU ARE DRAWING FROM IT IS SO LARGE. JESUS DIDN'T COME TO EARTH FOR THE RICH AND FAMOUS, HE CAME FOR THE LOWLIEST OF HUMANITY. YOU HAVE COME TO DISCOVER THAT GOD'S SPIRIT IS FOUND MUCH EASIER AMONG THE LOWLY, AND YOU RESPECT AND ADMIRE THAT. YOU HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH A PEEK INTO ETERNITY THROUGH THE HUMBLE AND LOWLY. I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU! CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR MORE ON YOUR RETURN. GOD'S BEST TO YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna,
    How about a reflection on your mission to Senegal after having been home for awhile? That would be very interesting. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're still waiting on your post trip reflection update.

    ReplyDelete