Gorou

Gorou
This is a very special village. I love how the light runs across the flat dry plains.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Blessing of Calling

Calling is a key word in Christianity today, especially for those who believe they are discerning ministry. For example, one might hear someone say that they have been called to some form of ministry. We see examples in both the Old and New Testaments that different people are called to many different things; such as, killing their own son or writing letters to the new Christian churches. We also see what happens to people when they run away from their call (i.e. Jonah). However, what I have encountered in MANY Christians is the belief that only some people are called by God. I don't believe I should ever hear "Oh, I'm so glad you were called, because it's really not for me." I can agree that not everyone is called to missions, but I cannot agree that not everyone is called.
 
The word "call" is used in many different ways throughout the Bible. In Isaiah 40:3, a voice called out in the wilderness. Matthew 9:9 is labeled as the calling of Matthew, where Jesus said, "Come and follow me." Several times in the Gospels Jesus calls his disciples to come to Him. However, when we start talking about calling today, we start to get nervous. People become antsy in their own skin, because somehow we, as Christians, have decided that only a few people are called. We've decided that those verses in the Bible that make us uncomfortable are only for a few people. Only a few have to go and spread the word of Christ? Only a few need to be in fellowship with other Christians? Only a few need to leave their comfort zone? Hmm. Sounds interesting. Tell me more about this fantasy-land religion we have concocted. I bet this religion is easy, and I bet it's for people who don't care to dedicate their lives to it. Sarcasm aside, sadly, I have found that this is what one can find in the general Christian church today, a boiled down version of what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ. I should not have to stand up and say "I have been called to ministry." That should be obvious when I say "I am a Christian." There should be no distinction. There is not a group of called Christians and a group of regular Christians. When you decided that you are going to live for Jesus Christ that means that you have decided to accept your call to the ministry of Christ.
 
It is at this point that I find a double standard in our churches today. Somehow, not everyone has been called to do the work of Christ and the Church, but EVERYONE lines up to receive the blessing. Now these may be good people, but that means nothing. If you cannot claim the fact that you have been called by God, then how exactly do you see that you are going to be blessed by the same God who is waiting for you to answer His call? We like to highlight all of those Bible verses that talk about how blessed we are because we have decided to be Christians, while we ignore those verses that say we have to do the heavy lifting on a daily basis. Honestly, I am tired. I am tired of seeing 5% of the church say that they have been called and 95% of the church say that have been blessed. Please, people. You are called AND blessed. Don't just line up for the blessing, because you will miss out on the blessing disguised as a call to ministry. I am not saying that you are not blessed. I am saying that you are more than blessed; you are called.
 
I pray that each of you will discern the call of God on your life. It is there. He is calling. All you have to do is listen.
 
Here's some scripture:
 
Hebrews 3:1
"Therefore, holy brothers and sisters, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, whom we acknowledge as our apostle and high priest."
 
Ephesians 4:4
"There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called."
 
2 Peter 1:3
"His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness."
 
Romans 8:28
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
 
Now, repeat after me. I am a Christian. I am called. I am blessed.
 
Pick up your cross, friends, and carry it.
 
-Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment